Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Five things to get you through the day in JP.
1. Jamaica Plain Forum: The discussion group has another interesting event tonight about farming in the United States. 2. JPNDC: The Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation will hold its annual meeting one week from today. 3. Weather: Given the year we had, will today be cold and rainy or warm and sunny? 4. Writing Help: Are you a writer looking to finish your children's book project? The Associates of the Boston Public Library is now seeking applications for their 10th annual Children's Writer-in-Residence fellowship, which provides an author with a room to work at in the Central Library in Copley Square and a $20,000 stipend. The residency will run from October through June. Learn more and apply at writer-in-residence.org. …
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
JP's five things.
1. Restaurants on Yelp: What are your favorite Jamaica Plain restaurants, and how do they stack up to the Yelp reviews? 2. Blogging: Anyone can blog on Jamaica Plain Patch. Here's how to get started. 3. Weather: The closer we get to June, the warmer it should be, technically speaking. 4. Pan-Mass Signups: Registration is now open for the Pan-Mass Challenge. Now in its 34th year, the annual cross-commonwealth bike-a-thon raises money for cancer research and treatment programs at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. There are routes for all age and skill level, ranging from 27 miles to 111 miles. For more information or to register, visit www.pmc.org. 5. Jimmy Fund Walk: To register for the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk on Sept. 8, or to …
Monday, May 20, 2013
Five things to help you through the day.
1. Homework Help: Calling students who are finishing out the year: Did you know you can get homework help at the Jamaica Plain and Connolly branch libraries? 2. Retirement at 50: It is possible, evidently. 3. Weather: Late spring or early summer? You decide. 4. Screenwriting Workshop: Ever wanted to learn more about screenwriting for movies? The Boston Neighborhood Network is offering two workshops on the subject, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, May 7-23, from 7-9 p.m. and on Saturdays, June 1-29, from 12:30-3 p.m. Cost is $100 for BNN-TV members and $150 for non-members. Register online at bnntv.org. 5. Writing Help: Are you a writer looking to finish your children's book project? The Associates of the Boston Public Library is now seeking …
Friday, May 17, 2013
Fundraisers and good weekend weather.
1. JP Library: The Jamaica Plain branch library is holding its annual book sale today and tomorrow, where we are told there will be "tons of great books and media for one or two dollars." Proceeds go to the library. 2. Curley: The Curley School community will hold a fundraiser tomorrow at the school in an effort to replace a lot with a usable track and field. 3. Weather: Get ready for a glorious weekend. 4. South End Flea Market: Put it on your calendars - the Claremont Neighborhood Association is having their 23rd annual Flea Market and Street Fair on Saturday, June 2, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wellington Street. The Street Fair includes antiques, collectibles, jewelry, art, and household goods for sale, a raffle for prizes from local …
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Curley Fundraiser this weekend.
1. Curley School: There will be a fundraiser at the Curley School this weekend to raise money for a new playing field. 2. Tonic: A BAPA board member said Wednesday that the Forest Hills restaurant, Tonic, which has closed twice, is once again open for business, though, calls to the business were not answered yesterday afternoon. 3. CityFeed: According to Twitter, the local shop now serves kombucha on tap. 4. South End Flea Market: Put it on your calendars - the Claremont Neighborhood Association is having their 23rd annual Flea Market and Street Fair on Saturday, June 2, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wellington Street. The Street Fair includes antiques, collectibles, jewelry, art, and household goods for sale, a raffle for prizes from local …
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
The U.S. Senate candidate will be touring Maracas Distributors today.
1. Gomez in JP: U.S. Senate Republican Candidate Gabriel Gomez will take a tour of Maracas Distributors this afternoon followed by a press conference. Here is how Jamaica Plain voted in this year's primary U.S. Senate election. 2. BAPA: The Jamaica Plain Business and Professional Association will meet at 12:30 p.m. today at James's Gate. 3. Weather: There's a small chance of showers, but likely more of the same today. 4. American Dream Discussion: What does the American Dream look like in 2013? Join in on a free a panel discussion moderated by Benjamin Forman, Research Director for MassINC at the Boston Center for the Arts' Nancy and Edward Roberts Studio Theatre at the Calderwood Pavilion, (527 Tremont St.) To register for the event, …
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
See what you need to know in JP today.
1. Missing Bike: On April 30, Ferris Wheels Bike Shop's Facebook page had a post saying a shop manager had a bike stolen from his home. Have you seen this bike? 2. Bike Week: Speaking of bicycles, it's Bay State Bike Week. What are your bicycle-based plans in JP? 3. BAPA: The Jamaica Plain Business and Professional Association meets tomorrow around noon. 4. Weather: Things are still looking up for tomorrow, mid-week, not so much. 5. Dennis Lehane at South End Library: Dennis Lehane, a successful author who grew up in Dorchester, will be speaking at the South End Library tonight at 6:30 p.m. Lehane most recently published Live by Night, in 2012. His previous novels include, among others, Gone Baby Gone,Shutter Island and Mystic River, all …
Monday, May 13, 2013
It's a spring week in JP.
1. BAPA: The Jamaica Plain Business and Professional Association will meet this Wednesday at James's Gate around noon. 2. Bay State Bike Week: A week that celebrates biking in Massachusetts began Saturday and will run through May 19. 3. Hubway: When we last checked, Hubway said they would build a network of stations in Jamaica Plain toward the end of summer. 4. Arboretum: Did you have a good Mother's Day at Arnold Arboretum? 5 Weather: Nothing but sunshine lies ahead for this week.
Friday, May 10, 2013
Arboretum events this weekend.
1. Arboretum: Lilac Sunday is this weekend. 2. BAPA: The next meeting of the Jamaica Plain Business and Professional Association is May 15 at James's Gate. 3. Weather: Yesterday was a typical summer day. We had thunder, lightning, humidity and sunshine all in one afternoon. You may expect more of the same today. 4. Bike Week: The state celebrates Bike Week May 11 to 19. 5. Mother's Day: Don't forget: It's this Sunday.
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Water in Jamaica Plain.
1. Weather: Have your allergies been acting up this year? Well here comes a hopeful reprieve. 2. Arboretum: Lilac Sunday 3. 5K: Horizons for Homeless Children has raised over half its $50,000 goal toward its May 18 5K run/walk in JP. 4. Rosé Tasting: Spend this Saturday at The Urban Grape (303 Columbus Ave.) for a grand rosé tasting, from 2-5 p.m. Over a dozen rosés from around the world will be open at each store to sample, for free. A 15% discount on mixed or full cases of rosé will be available for those making a purchase. Kitchensurfing will be on hand sampling food. See here for more information. 5. Screenwriting workshop: Ever wanted to learn more about screenwriting for movies? The Boston Neighborhood Network is offering two …