Friday, July 22, 2011
A fire in Egleston Square, sparked apparently by careless disposal of a cigarette, did an estimated $250,000 worth of damage.
The mercury hit 103 at Logan Airport, making it a tie for the hottest day since 1926. And the Boston Fire Department had to fight a three-alarm fire in the heat. The blaze, in a three-story duplex at 1953 Columbus Ave. in Egleston Square, sparked a traffic nightmare, but no residents were injured. A firefighter was taken to a hospital with chest pains, however. The Boston Fire Department Tweets that the damage is estimated at $250,000. The Salvation Army is assisting those turned out of their homes by the blaze, according to the department. The blaze was apparently caused by someone carelessly disposing of a cigarette on the third floor back porch, according to the Fire Department. Twelve residents were displaced. In the accompanying video…
According to the Boston Fire Department, no one was injured when a three-story duplex caught fire at 1953 Columbus Ave.
UPDATE, Friday, 6:22 p.m. The fire was apparently caused by careless disposal of a cigarette. ~~~~~ A fire in a three-story duplex at 1953 Columbus Ave. in Egleston Square sparked traffic gridlock, but no one was injured. The Boston Fire Department Tweets that the damage is estimated at $250,000. The Salvation Army is assisting those turned out of their homes by the blaze, according to the department. The fire is out but expect traffic delays in the Egleston area.
According to scanner reports, people may be trapped on the second floor of a building. The fire is reportedly on the third floor.
UPDATE, Friday, 6:20 p.m. The Fire Department said the blaze was probably started by careless disposal of a cigarette. ~~~~~ Here is an update on this story from 4:10 p.m. Friday. No one was injured in the blaze. ~~~~~ Traffic is gridlocked at this hour in Jamaica PLain and Roxbury, as firefighters battle a blaze in Egleston Square. Patch correspondent Stephen Walsh, trying to follow up on reports of the Egleston fire, said traffic was backed up on Centre Street, Washington Street, and on Columbus Avenue all the way to Boston Police Headquarters. According to scanner reports, a three-alarm fire is raging in Egleston Square. 1945 Columbus Ave., in Roxbury near the Jamaica Plain line, is the address. The third floor is reportedly on fire and…
Monday, July 11, 2011
Hazardous materials teams came to deal with the spill.
UPDATE, 1:30 p.m. Tuesday: Life is returning to normal at the church. ~~~~~ Emergency crews came to First Church in Jamaica Plain Unitarian Universalist today to deal with oil spilling from two tanks inside the church. The church was evacuated, according to scanner traffic. Patch will post more information as it becomes available.
Saturday, July 9, 2011
NSTAR official said power went out at 4:45 p.m. due to distribution service line being tripped at the Hebrew Rehab Center on the JP/West Roxbury line.
An electrical service distribution line was tripped by an animal, said an NSTAR official, which caused a power outage on Centre Street this afternoon. Power went out at 4:45 p.m., said NSTAR Media Spokesperson Bill Zamparelli, and was restored at 5:14 p.m. The power outage affected 195 customers, said Zamparelli. The power outage also caused an emergency generator to smoke at the Hebrew Rehab Center.
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
A light bulb left on too close to clothes in a closet sparked a blaze that did $400,000 damage in Parkside.
A blaze sparked by a light bulb being too close to clothing in a closet sparked a major blaze at 14-16 Olmstead St. on Wednesday evening, according to Tweets from the Boston Fire Department. The fire went to four alarms. No one was injured, though four people were displaced — two from each side of the house. The fire started in the second floor front closet of No. 14, the Fire Department Tweeted. It did an estimated $300,000 worth of damage to No. 14 and $100,000 to No. 16. It is the second recent fire in Parkside. Two weeks ago a two-alarm fire ripped through 17 Glade Ave., as a result of a candle left unattended.
Friday, April 15, 2011
An unattended candle sparked a blaze that displaced 11 residents.
Firefighters responded to a two-alarm blaze at 17 Glade Ave. in Parkside on Thursday night. An unattended candle in the front bedroom on the third floor sparked the fire, according to Steve MacDonald, spokesman for the Fire Department. Firefighters responded at 11:23 p.m. to find flames belching from a third-floor porch. All 11 residents were able to exit safely on their own, MacDonald said. The fire did about $450,000 worth of damage, including to the first and second floors via water damage. JP-based Tower 10, the largest tower unit in the city, was needed to reach the fire, which was on the third floor of the triple-decker at the end of a dead-end street, MacDonald said. The triple-decker had been converted to condos, with three people …
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
According to the scanner, one 55-year-old man was offered to be taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from the nearby Centre Street station doused a small trash can fire at 55 Eliot Street on Wednesday morning. An incinerated trash can and damaged office chair had been cast out of the second floor of the building, which is divided into townhouses. According to scanner traffic, a 55-year-old man was offered to be taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.