Monday, February 25, 2013
Police confirmed the victim fell through the ice at Jamaica Pond attempting to rescue her dog. She emerged conscious and alert.
A woman attempting to rescue her dog fell through the ice at Jamaica Pond this afternoon. The woman emerged from the pond and is conscious and alert, according to police. She is being transported to an area hospital. The dog was OK too, according to reports. The incident was originally reported and then tweeted as a possible drowning.
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Firefighters and T workers were able to isolate a smoldering electrical wire in Arlington station. The loss of Green Line service and an unrelated Red Line incident wreaked havoc on the morning commute.
The MBTA restored Green Line service late Wednesday morning after an electrical fire at Arlington station shut down portions of the service. According to the Boston Fire Department, the station was shut down because of smoking electrical wires. "The power had to be shut down to de-energize the smoldering cable. This caused the closing and evacuation of Arlington & Copley," fire officials wrote on the department's official Twitter account. The offending cable was identified just before 10 a.m., according to the fire department. The evacuation and shut down affected all Green Line branches. And an unrelated incident on the Red line further complicated the morning commute during one of the coldest days of the year. MBTA Green Line service …
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Jose Baez, 40, of Dorchester, pleaded guilty to four counts of arson in federal court on Tuesday. His fire-setting spree spanned JP, Cambridge, Back Bay and Roslindale.
A Dorchester man admitted his guilt in four arsons Tuesday — including one that torched Jamaica Plain Auto Body. Jose L. Baez, 40, pleaded guilty in federal court. Prosecutors said if the case had gone to trial, they'd have proven that Baez engaged in a spree of arsons from 2008 to 2010 that spanned JP, Cambridge, Back Bay and Roslindale. Here's how prosecutors say Baez committed the crimes. He set fire to JP Auto Body, at 12-18 Rock Hill Road, early on April 29, 2009. He used gasoline, tires and old clothes to spark flames in three separate places. Baez used gasoline and a 30-foot wick made out of old clothes to torch the Whole Foods Market on Alewife Brook Parkway in Cambridge early on Dec. 26, 2008. He set fire to a Back Bay brownstone …
Friday, August 10, 2012
How can Boston identify and remove illegal grills before disaster strikes?
A South End roof deck caught fire Thursday night, causing billowing smoke and snarled traffic in the neighborhood. An illegal grill on the roof deck caused the fire, according to the Boston Fire Department. It was the second illegal grill fire in two days; the department put out a Roslindale blaze Wednesday. Spotting illegal grills is difficult from street level, but Bostonians in taller buildings know which neighbors have the contraband cookers and which don't. Here are the city's rules for grills. Mostly they prohibit charcoal grills on any structure and place limits on gas grills. What can Boston do to crack down on illegal grills? Are you willing to rat out your neighbors in the name of safety? Or do you own a rooftop grill? Why do you…
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
The Boston City Council mulled a plan to create a volunteer registry of autistic residents, which first responders could use to help rescue special needs residents during a fire.
Boston City Councilor Rob Consalvo proposed creating a voluntary registry that would help identify individuals with special needs to public safety workers in a rescue situation. Consalvo made the proposal at Wednesday's City Council meeting. Consalvo said he's working with Bill Cannata on the issue. Cannata is the statewide coordinator for the Autism & Law Enforcement Coalition of the Family Autism Center. Cannata, a Westwood firefighter, was featured in a "Today Show" segment about rescue workers saving kids with special needs. Consalvo recounted a story Cannata told him that emphasized why rescue respondents need training on how to work with special needs individuals. "An 18- or 19-year-old autistic person was told by his parents to …
Saturday, April 21, 2012
The fire started about midnight Friday. No injuries were reported.
UPDATE: If you'd like to help the people displaced by the fire, a Fire Fund has been set up, according to Neighbors For Neighbors. Here is the link. ~~~~~ A porch fire at 83 Paul Gore Street has caused 14 people to be displaced from their homes, according to fire sources and neighbors. The fire began on the back porch of apartment 6, which is on the third floor. It extended inside. The Boston Fire Department reports there were no known injuries. Steve MacDonald of the Fire Department said the blaze started from careless disposal of a cigarette. The fire did about $100,000 damage, he said. [Editor's note: This post has been updated with information about the cause of the fire and number of people displaced.]
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Traffic, closures and power outage update.
Traffic conditions are improving around Back Bay, Copley and Mass Ave, but many signals are not functioning, and multiple businesses are closed in the wake of a giant fire at the parking garage of the Back Bay Hilton. Local police, along with state police as backup, are out in full force directing traffic. But if you approach an intersection where the lights aren't working and there's no officer, treat it as a stop sign and yield to cars to your right. The Pru Tunnel on the Mass Pike reopened this morning. Green line service is not stopping at Prudential and Symphony stops, but the Mass. Ave. stop on the orange line reopened this morning. All Boston schools are open, and Snowden International is running on a generator. The Boston Public …
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Starting up a long-idle boiler created smoky conditions. Polls were shut down for about 30 minutes.
A smoking boiler in the former Agassiz School caused firefighters to evacuate poll workers and voters. The smoke forced the evacuation from about 3:45 to 4:15 p.m., said Patricia Craffey, warden of Ward 11, Precinct 9. "We had a little bit of excitement, because it's been a boring day," she said. "We had to get out fast." The Agassiz has been largely vacant since closing in June 2010. When boilers, which are used to heat buildings, are restarted after long periods of inactivity, they can produce smoke. Steve MacDonald of the Boston Fire Department said it didn't take long for firefighters to search the building, find the cause of the smoke and fix the situation. He said smoke people may have seen coming from the roof of the building was …
Monday, August 1, 2011
The Boston Fire Department reports the blaze was caused by careless disposal of a cigarette.
A fire at 49 Mozart St. displaced eight people Sunday night and did an estimated $400,000 damage, according to Tweets from the Boston Fire Department. Firefighters arrived at 3:18 a.m. to find "heavy fire from the rear porches." The cause of the blaze, which started on the third floor back porch, was careless disposal of a cigarette, the Fire Department Tweeted. Check back with JP Patch later in the day for more on this story.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Charcoal grills must be on the ground, and propane grills are not allowed to be above the first floor.
Are you grilling this summer? Before you do, please make sure that you're following both city and state laws. "There are two type of grills in Boston - propane and charcoal," said Boston Fire Department Spokesperson Steve MacDonald. "Charcoal grills are not allowed on any structure and have to be on ground." MacDonald said that is a Boston law. "Propane grills under state law, should not be above the first floor of any building," said MacDonald. MacDonald said grilling issues are a bigger problem in crowded neighborhoods like the Back Bay, the South End, East Boston and Charlestown, where there aren't a lot of single-family homes. "The big rule with propane is we don’t want propane tanks entering the house. It’s to keep the propane out …