Tuesday, September 4, 2012
The move is part of a legislature-approved reorganization of the Department of Transportation board structure.
The governor has dismissed every member of the Department of Transportation board. If any of them want their unpaid jobs back, they'll need to reapply for membership in a new, bigger board that will include the DOT chief as an ex officio member. Lawmakers approved the board shake-up last month as the legislative session ended. Of course there are politics at work here — some outspoken board members figure they won't be appointed to the new body. The Boston Globe has all the details on the shakeup, including why some say a big new commuter rail contract is essentially rigged to go to a crony of DOT leadership. [Subscription may be required to read link.]
Saturday, August 4, 2012
The Department of Transportation claims it will save $422,000 by transitioning the Registry of Motor Vehicles, Turnpike, MassHighway and other agencies to 857-DOT numbers.
Families shop around for cheaper deals on telephone service — why shouldn't the Department of Transportation? Streamlining several "antiquated and redundant" telephone systems under one area code and exchange will save taxpayers about $422,000, according to Secretary of Transportation Richard Davey. The new series of numbers, which all begin with 857-DOT, is under way at several transportation sub-agencies. A major change took effect Wednesday when the main customer service line at the Registry of Motor Vehicles became 857-DOT-8000. Drivers can use that number to get information on licenses, citations and road tests. It will even tell you the wait times at the nearest RMV. State officials say they're launching an ad campaign to draw …
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Jerry O'Connor of Yale Terrace, who has followed the Casey Overpass controversy closely, provides a satirical yet serious critique of the state's "FAQ" on the major project.
[Editor's note: The following is an opinion piece about the Casey Overpass debate — whether Forest Hills should have a new, lower bridge or a surface traffic arrangement after the hulking Casey Overpass is torn down.] To some following the Casey Overpass project, there is a disquieting feeling that the decision was already made some time ago to forego any plan to continue to carry east-west regional traffic on an elevated lane. A hard-to-put-your-finger-on but unshakeable feeling of a clear preference on the part of the project team for the “at-grade” option has been palpable since the earliest meetings. Now, the DOT has given us a clear picture of its intent, with its recently published “Frequently Asked Questions” document. In classic…
Sunday, February 19, 2012
The state says it will announce by the end of February which of two remaining choices it has picked for the future of Forest Hills after the overpass is torn down: A new, lower bridge or a system of surface roads.
State officials have said they will make their decision about what will replace the Casey Overpass by the end of this month. Two options remain: Either a new, lower bridge would be built or a network of surface roads would replace the current configuration. This week the State Department of Transportation issued a list of "Frequently Asked Questions," that give the department's responses in detail. The document tackles a wide range of questions about traffic, design and process. For instance, to the often-expressed question about how can traffic possibly not be made worse by putting bridge traffic onto the surface streets, the department says: Today’s congestion is the result of a poorly-designed surface street system. That system will be …
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
The state has also cancelled two December meetings at which is was going to reveal its choice: a new bridge for Forest Hills or an "at-grade" solution.
If you haven't yet told the state which option you prefer for the future of Forest Hills — a bridge or no bridge — there's still time to be heard. The state has extended through Friday its comment period on the massive project. That comment window was supposed to have closed on Tuesday. Further, the state has cancelled two meetings set for next week at which it was poised to reveal which of the two options it had chosen. The state is tearing down the aging Casey Overpass. In its place they will either build a narrower, shorter bridge or carry all the traffic at ground level. The state says either option will improve traffic flow and there is essentialy no difference between the plans, traffic-wise. However, under the "no bridge" plan, a …
Saturday, January 29, 2011
“If it doesn’t get done, then the area will sort of sit as a blighted, degraded area for, who knows, the next 50 years,” said one resident.
The $220-million Arborway Busyard reconstruction is shovel ready. The only problem is the $220 million. Originally in the MBTA’s Capital Investment Program, the funding has since been removed. Local residents are now joining forces with the city and local officials to get the money restored. “We have a real fight on our hands to get the MBTA and its directors to put the money back in the funding,” Henry Allen, chairman of the Community Planning Committee for the Arborway Yard, said during the Tuesday’s JP Neighborhood Council meeting. Besides writing letters to MBTA General Manager Richard Davey (follow link to send your own letter), residents are enlisting the help of Mass. Rep Liz Malia and Mass. Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz to advocate their …