Jamaica Plain Public Library
This branch will celebrate 100 years in the same building in 2011. While small by the standard of some libraries, this branch has focused collections in several areas, such as graphic novels, Spanish language books for adults and children, mysteries, local history, travel guides and movies on DVD. The building has tall, school house-style windows and 25-foot ceilings. Built as a mirror image of itself, it has two huge fireplaces (they are not used for heating, however.) An auditorium downstairs hosts community events, including readings and even the occasional dance party. This branch has a dedicated Friends of the Library group that runs the annual book sale and every March has a fundraiser featuring Irish music, amid other efforts. You can reach the president of the Friends group, Don Haber, at the library's address and phone number. The branch also has a very active and frequently updated Facebook page.
- Hours: Mon-Wed, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.;,Thu, Noon - 8 p.m.; Fri, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Hours vary seasonally. Effective Sep. 10, 2011, the library is open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Handicap Accessible: The first level is accessible via the side entrance on Centre Street. The basement, which contains the bathrooms, is not accessible and neither is the mezzanine
- Founding Date: Jun 01 1876
- Parking: On-street: free
- Size of collection: 40,000
- Specialties: Although it is a physically small library, the JP Branch has strong, carefully curated collections of graphic novels, Spanish language books for adults and children, mysteries, local history, travel guides and movies on DVD.
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: One hour per day at branches own terminals. W-iFi is free with no time limit if you have your own computer.
- Programs/classes: For children: Preschool/toddler story time and nature programs. For adults: art shows, concerts and lectures, Social Justice Book Discussion Group, a weekly English/Spanish Language Exchange Group and an annual Hispanic Heritage Celebration.
- Book donation information: Please contact a librarian before bringing donations over. Because it is a small branch, they have to make careful use of their space.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: Yes