Monday's big Jamaica Plain news, that police and prosecutors had , may come as a relief to neighbors who have lived in fear.
Over the years, the Boylston associates often had bloody conflicts with their rival Mozart Street gang. Police stress that while the names of the groups come from two JP streets, the feuding gang members no longer live there.
Here is a review of violent incidents police have linked to the conflict between Boylston and Mozart:
- September 2007: Alan Peguero of the Mozart Street crew murdered, according to the Boston Herald.
- January 2008: Alleged Mozart Street associate Carlos Sierra shot to death, according to Herald.
- April 2008: Luis "Mata" Troncoso, 20, an alleged Boylston Street associate, shot and killed on the basketball court near .
- October 2008: Garivaldis Peña killed in a shooting on Rossmore Street.
- August 2010: Two nonfatal shootings in Eglston Square, according to the JP Gazette.
- Oct. 23, 2010: Boylston Street gang member mortally wounded by gunfire on Boylston Street
- Nov. 21, 2010: Three men mortally wounded in a . Killed were alleged Boylston Street associates Winsizky Soto, 27 and Johnnel "Bo" Cruz, 20, of Jamaica Plain and alleged Mozart Street associate Ariel Dume, 20, of Dorchester. A woman going past on Centre Street was grazed by a bullet.
- November 2010: Amin Marte of the Mozart Street gang killed in the Dominican Republic, according to an affidavit referenced by the JP Gazette.
- December 2010: Members of the Mozart Street gang .
According to the Gazette, police and prosecutors link many drug-related crimes to the rival groups.
[Editor's note: This post has been updated with information from the Boston Herald.]