Alleged serial rapist Tikee Beverly was ordered held on $1 million cash bail Tuesday in Suffolk Superior Court for a string of violent crimes against women in Jamaica Plain and surrounding communities.
Beverly, 36, from Roxbury was originally arraigned Feb. 5 on two attacks both on Washington Street in Jamaica Plain occurring on Feb. 2 and Feb. 3, according a statement from Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley last week.
He is now charged with 13 offenses related to five known area attacks committed between September 2012 and February 2013, according to a statement from Conley Tuesday.
The charges are:
- One count each of aggravated rape and robbery for a Sept. 13, 2012, attack on Shirley Street in Dorchester
- Two counts of aggravated rape and single counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and kidnapping for a Dec. 27, 2012, attack on Kenilworth Street in Roxbury
- One count each of aggravated rape, robbery, and kidnapping for a Jan. 11, 2013, attack on Arcadia Park in Dorchester
- One count of rape for a Feb. 2, 2013, attack on Washington Street in Jamaica Plain
- Three counts of rape for a Feb. 3, 2013, attack on Washington Street in Jamaica Plain.
“These attacks all took place in broad daylight at abandoned or dilapidated buildings,” Conley said in the Tuesday statement. “There are patterns and similarities linking them above and beyond the forensic evidence that police and prosecutors have assembled. This is still a very active investigation and additional indictments are possible.”
Assistant District Attorney Patrick Devlin told the court Tuesday that the cases charged thus far have been linked by DNA in some cases and video surveillance images in others. DNA testing is still under way in other cases, prosecutors said, and investigators are reviewing a journal or diary that Boston Police discovered in his residence that appears to lay claim to multiple acts of sexual violence against women, according to Conley's statement.
Beverly was arrested in the aftermath of the Feb. 2 and Feb. 3 assaults, when Boston Police spotted him on Notre Dame Street and recognized him as matching the description of the assailant in those two cases. Since that time, police and prosecutors of the Boston Police and Suffolk DA’s sexual assault units have been reviewing cases of sexual assaults by strangers that had not yielded arrests, leading to Beverly’s March 27 indictments on three previously-uncharged rapes.
“I want to reiterate that we’re here to help and support anyone victimized by crimes of sexual violence,” Conley said. “You don’t have to cope with it alone.”
While the victims of any crime are urged to call 911 in an emergency, the survivors of sexual violence in Suffolk County can also call the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center’s 24-hour hotline at 800-841-8371. The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center provides medical advocacy, legal services, counseling, and other services to victims of sexual assault.
Beverly's next court date is May 23.