Here is the plan - Bette Ann Libby (a noted mosaic artist who has done work for Boston Children's Hospital and other local landmarks, see her site for examples of her amazing pieces) will collaborate with the JP community to create a mosaic to be installed permanently in the . Right now we plan to install the mosaic in the auditorium downstairs to bring color and life to a less-exciting area of the building. [Naturally, once the full renovation is funded - hopefully in the Fiscal Year 2014 Capital Budget we may have to move the mosaic, but we will plan for that!]
The project will occur over the summer and fall of 2012. We welcome library patrons and neighbors of all ages & art ability levels to participate in two ways: 1) by donating ceramic shards over the summer to be incorporated into the mosaics and 2) then helping to assemble the mosaic panels in October. Children are also invited to learn the art of mosaic in a workshop (using tissue paper) this fall.
- When: now through October 11 at the
- What: Whole/broken dishes and other ceramics in all colors and patterns (No glass, please)
- Please place any broken shards in sealed plastic/paper bags, sorted by color
- Shards no smaller than 1.5 x 1.5 inches
We hope that you will bring in that favorite mug that got chipped or your plates that have seen better days. Then they can have a new life in our mosaic. The more colors we get the better! There are bins for donations in the library or drop any ceramics by our used book table at the Farmers' Market any Thursday night in August.
Mosaic-Making at the JP Branch:
The next phase is putting it all together and we hope everyone will come by and participate. We really want it to be a community effort! Mark your calendars for these dates:
- Saturday, October 13, 9:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday October 18, 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday October 20, 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Children's Project: Tissue Paper Mosaics
Finally, we know that working with ceramic shards is not good for out smallest JP residents so we have this option for them to:
- Led by Myrna Balk, JP-based multimedia artist
- Wednesday, October 17, 4:00-5:30 p.m. at the JP Branch Library
Once the mosaic is all assembled, we will install it. Look for an announcement of the "grand opening". Thanks in advance for your ceramic donations and participation.