1. JP Reads! Heats Up: The community reading initiative, JP Reads!, will soon be in full swing. This weekend is perfect for starting or finishing the book selection, "The Night Circus," by Erin Morgenstern. Here's a list of all the great events on tap, including an author visit!
2. JP Open Studios: It's a huge weekend for the arts, with more than 200 artists exhibiting at 50 locations all over the neighborhood on Saturday and Sunday.
3. See Open Studios by Bike: A great way to take in the art is on two wheels. There are events on both Saturday and Sunday, built around a self-guided tour.
4. Boston Cycling Celebration: Speaking of bikes, this is a great weekend for cycling. On .
5. Free Self-Defense Course for Women: The Boston Police offer a free four-week class in self-defense for women. It starts on Monday and will be held at 150 S. Huntington Ave.