.

JP's Bikes Not Bombs Sends Donated Bikes to Partners Overseas

The shop will send another round of bikes to a partner in Guatemala this April.

Credit: File photo.
Credit: File photo.

Jamaica Plain-based nonprofit Bikes Not Bombs recently sent a large shipment of more than 500 bikes and spare parts to a partner oversees, according to Boston.com

The local organization, which pushes for social change within the community and in third-world countries, sent the donated bicycles to its partner, Ability BIkes Cooperative in Ghana,  and another shipment will be sent in April to another partner, Bici-Tec, in San Andres, Guatemala, according to the report. 

All bikes shipped are rebuilt out of donated bicycles, and about 80 percent of the 5,000 to 6,000 that go through Bikes Not Bombs are donated overseas, with the remaining 20 percent going to youth programs in Boston, as well as the BNB bike shop and metal recycling, according to the report. 

Bikes Not Bombs is a nonprofit, full-service bicycle sales & repair shop. All proceeds go to further the shop's mission of promoting bicycle technology as an alternative to war and environmental destruction.

For more, read the full story on Boston.com.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something