Invite a friend
massmouth story slams at Doyle's!
New themes, many new venues as massmouth returns for Story Slam Season IV
Starting on September 9th massmouth will be hosting slams at Doyle’s in Jamaica Plain, Club Passim in Cambridge, and The Rosebud Bar and Grill in Somerville. Our new series of folk and fairy tale slams for adults at The Puppet Showplace Theatre in Brookline begins in October. Modeled after poetry slams, massmouth’s story slams invite everyone—from experienced performers to first-timers—to share real-life stories on published themes like: “alien, whacked, foodie, crush and bankrupt". 10 tellers are chosen at random and each night, judges select first and second place winners and the audience will vote for their choice too. Winners are invited back for the semi-finals and a chance to enter the finals in April 2013 at the Coolidge Corner Theater. Visit our website: http://massmouth.com/ and/or contact us directly for more information.
As a 501c3 massmouth,inc.’s mission is to promote the timeless art of storytelling. In three short years massmouth,inc. has changed the way Boston tells and listens to stories and:
- run 100s of story slams on set themes and filled venues to capacity.
- introduced 1000s of people to the art of storytelling as listeners and tellers
- convinced venues and audiences that 'nobody famous' telling a good story is fine entertainment and worth the ticket price
- taught over 3,000 high school students the art of storytelling in 9 public high schools
- organized the only inter-mural high school story slam in the country
- raised and distributed $10K in awards to our high school students, two years running
- taught workshops at dozens of nonprofits and educational and cultural venues
Season IV by venue and themes:
DOYLE’S, Jamaica Plain, Boston
Oct 14, 2012 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm –"6th sense"
Nov 11, 2012 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm – "politics"
Dec 9, 2012 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm – "kin"
Jan 13, 2013 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm – "pets"
Feb 10, 2013 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm – "betrayal"
Mar 10, 2013 SUN 6:30pm to 9pm –semifinals
More About F.J. Doyle's Braddock Cafe
There's a lot of history at this old, traditional Boston Irish pub founded in 1882 -- and the walls illustrate it with photographs, faded articles and even a painted mural of all the local political figures who have tossed back a pint here. Not surprisingly, it attracts a lot of history buffs and tourists, and they fit in well with friendly locals at the pub's well-stocked bar.
The pub is large and has three dining areas. Brian Tully is the chef here and his menu offers pub standards like burgers, club sandwiches, soups and chowders, meat and seafood dinners and pizzas. Daily dinner specials like baked ham steak, stuffed shrimp and meatloaf are a nod to vintage New England menus.
Other events here
- Pub-style candidates forum Sun, Jun 2, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm