During the winter months as we gather round crackling wood fires, enjoying their warmth and glow, I't is important to take the time to responsibly safeguard against risk of house fires.
Avoid overloading electrical outlets with plug-in space heaters. Make sure that there is a UL mark on any electrical heater. This indicates that the item has been evaluated by the Underwriters Laboratories and has passed all the organizations standard safety tests. Never use cords that are damaged or frayed, and do not hide cords under rugs where it may cause someone to trip and fall.
Be sure that everything that is around the fireplace mantle, directly above your fireplace or woodstove are flame retardant, if not they can be subject to overheating. Be sure to always use a fire screen to prevent sparks from escaping into your room, and as an additional precaution use a fire-retardant mat/rug in front of the heat source. Did you know that candles are also a common cause of house fires? Never leave a candle unattended, and ensure that all candles are secure from being easily knocked over.
Do you have questions on your Massachusetts Homeowners, Condominium or Renter’s Insurance policy? Call your local independent insurance agent, we're happy to help!
Happy New Year!