Yes, it is that time that many of us anxiously await all year long! The time for that beloved tradition of carefully selecting and decorating a Christmas tree! But did you know that every year, an average of 240 Christmas tree-related home fires occur in the United States? Those fires are usually caused by electrical problems, decorative lights, cigarettes or other heat sources placed too close to the tree.
Don't let your carefully-chosen Christmas tree become a fire hazard. Observe these fire safety tips this holiday season:
- Keep the trunk of the tree immersed in water at all times.
- Do not permit smoking near the tree.
- Use flame retardant trim/decorations.
- Use only lights that are UL approved.
- Inspect lights for frayed or cracked wiring, broken plugs and defective sockets.
- Unplug lights at night and when leaving home.
- Do not over load circuits or outlets.
- Do not run extension cords under carpets or across doorways.
- Remove the tree soon after the holidays, before the needles dry out.
- Check your smoke alarms; install new batteries if necessary.
- Use caution if hanging lights outside; be aware of power lines and hazards while using a ladder.
- Use caution with candles or open flame devices.
Most importantly, talk to your local independent insurance agent and make sure your MA homeowners or your Ma renter’s insurance policy is up to date and you are adequately covered- no one plans to have a house fire.
Vargas & Vargas wishes everybody a safe and happy holiday season!