Power Outages Reported on Revere, Green and Cheshire Streets in Jamaica Plain
As the neighborhood experiences prolonged rain and high winds, some residents report losing power.
Some residents are reporting having lost power Monday morning, including people on Revere, Green and Cheshire streets.
The neighborhood has experienced a soaking rain and high winds, which authorities had warned could bring down small tree limbs and cause isolated power outages.
NStar has these recommendations if you lose your power (and are reading this, presumbaly, on a smart phone!)
- Use NSTAR's online "Report an Outage" tool or call NSTAR at 800-592-2000 to report your outage.
- Stay clear of all fallen tree limbs and electrical wires as well as anything they are touching - such as puddles and metal fences. Assume all downed wires are “live” and stay away. Call NSTAR and local emergency personnel.
- Persons dependent on electrically powered life support systems should have a prearranged plan concerning power outage situations.
- Prepare a list of emergency phone numbers and have it readily available.
- Disconnect appliances that will go on automatically when the power is restored. These include refrigerators, stoves, furnaces and water heaters.
- Turn off appliances such as washers, dryers, computers and TV's. Once power is restored, turn appliances back on one at a time to avoid a power surge.
- If using candles or matches, be extremely careful and never leave open flames unattended.
- Food in your refrigerator will keep for 6 to 9 hours, and food in your freezer will keep between 36 and 48 hours. It will help to minimize the number of times the door is opened.
- In the winter, dress in layers and wear a hat.