Jamaica Plain's Five Best Dog Walks
Did I miss one? Let me (and, by extension, my dog Molly) know in the comments.
JP is one of Boston's greenest neighborhoods, and an awesome one for walking a dog. Here are my top five walks:
- Forest Hills Cemetery. It's one of the nation's oldest garden cemeteries and hard to beat for a lovely dog walk. If you keep to the woods at the edges of the cemetery, it's also pretty easy to let your dog off leash without arousing the ire of the security guards.
- Arnold Arboretum. Arguably the single best place in JP to let your dog play with other dogs is Peters Hill. And any route you take through the Arboretum is sure to lower your own nature deficit.
- From anywhere in the neighborhood to the Brendan Behan. Hat tip to my dog walking neighbor Karie for pointing this one out. Dogs are always welcome in the Behan, and there's plenty of refreshment available for the human's walk home.
- Franklin Park. There are acres and acres of wooded paths for you and your pooch to enjoy.
- The Urban Walk. As humans, we sometimes get hung up on the idea that dogs need to be walked in parks. But our Border Collie mutt, Molly, loves to sniff along the sidewalk. And the urban walk lets the human stop at Harvest or other stores while the leashed-up dog gets attention from passersby outside. Win/win!