Five Things to Know: JP Native Jazz Great Jimmy McHugh Gets His Due
Essential daily information at a glance, including an event to learn about jazz great Jimmy McHugh, the JP native who wrote "I'm in the Mood for Love" and other standards.
1. Forecast: Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning. Highs in the mid 50s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
2. Celebrate a Jazz Great From JP: Did you know the person who wrote "I'm in the Mood for Love" was a JP native? Jazz great Jimmy McHugh gets his due from music historian Dick Vacca in a speech on Sunday at 3 p.m. at First Church in JP Unitarian Universalist.
3. Le Cirque de JP: You won't need to have read "The Night Circus," the JP Reads community book selection, to enjoy what should be a fun family event on Sunday. The lawn at the Loring-Greenough House transforms into "an enchanted world of fortune tellers, magicians, jugglers, stilt walkers, hula-hoopers, tarot card readers, mysterious music, and more." 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Free.
4. Open House at Nativity Prep: Shopping for a school for your boy going into grades 4-8? The tuition-free private school holds an open house Saturday, 9:30-11 a.m.
5. Police Activity in Jackson Thursday Night: If you saw a lot of police activity in the Heath Street area late Thursday night, there was a shooting. Police confirm a man was shot in the leg at 166 Terrace in Roxbury, very near the JP line. Twitter users report, via Universal Hub, 20-plus shots fired and a gun battle between two cars.
Engage with your neighbors on JP Patch: