Jamaica Plain, Did You Feel an Earthquake?
Social media is lighting up with reports that residents in the Moss Hill and other sections of JP, plus Newton, felt their homes shake.
UPDATE: Federal authorities have downgraded the magnitude of the quake from 4.6 to 4.0.
Reports are pouring in of Jamaica Plain residents who felt their homes shake in what may have been an earthquake.
Here's some of what we're hearing on Twitter:
- RheaBecker: I felt the earthquake!!!! Did you?
- She later Tweeted: Stuff fell off my bureau.
- Bethg24: @JPPatch Definitely felt it. I thought the TV was going to fall over. #JamaicaPlain
- bumpasaurus: @JPPatch felt it in Hyde sq. Not major but noticeable shake for a few seconds
- ohryankelley: TOTALLY felt the earthquake in Jamaica Plain! #MA #JP #Earthquake
A JP resident emailed JP Patch to say: "I live between the Arboretum and the Monument on Centre and my house definitely shook for a few seconds. Weird!"
The federal agency that monitors earthquakes reports there was one of 4.6 magnitude at 7:12 p.m. near Hollis Center, Maine.
If you felt the tremor, the U.S. Geological Survey collects data via this online survey.